Program Values and Goals for 5778 (2017-18)
Core Values: * Belonging * Jewish Rhythm * Hebrew Language
Creating a warm environment for learning and growing for the participants.
BELONGING, Ketzev kids will:
* Feel connected to one another, to our Rabbi, to our Educators, and to our Madrachim/teen helpers.
* Have meaningful conversations within the Ketzev community (and also outside of it), that reflect the deep, Jewish learning that happens in our chavurah.
* Experience true leadership opportunities at every age by taking on age-appropriate roles and responsibilities.
* Model the middot/Jewish values that guide our chavurah experience.
* Lead their community in brachot/blessings before snacks and meals.
* Explain why we recite the different blessings for the different foods.
JEWISH RHYTHM, Ketzev kids will:
* Initiate meaningful conversations about the Jewish holidays’ rituals, culture and history.
* Share with their families the chavurah’s middot/Jewish values and give examples of the behaviors that reflect those values.
* Chant Hebrew liturgy according to nusach/traditional melodies and experiment with creative tefillah/prayer.
* Daven/chant the Amidah and Ashrei.
* Participate in leading prayers and blessings at our children or family services.
* Share wisdom from Parashat haShavua/the weekly Torah portion with their families.
HEBREW, Ketzev kids will:
* Gain fluency in reading and writing Hebrew.
* Learn Hebrew through TPR (total physical response).
* Use basic conversational terms and everyday phrases in Hebrew such as Mah nishma?/What’s up?, bevakasha/please, toda/thank you, etc.
* Understand and use Hebrew vocabulary words in conversation.
* Learn Hebrew through songs and skits.
* Gain fluency with siddur/prayerbook vocabulary.